Saturday, February 23, 2008

2.22.08 SPELLING SONGS

I've been wanting to do this one for over a year: a show made up entirely of songs in which a word is spelled out. Thanks to everybody for sending in suggestions, especially the folks that send me links to webpages of lists of spelling songs! I guess this playlist is another one.

Mickey Mouse Club Theme
New York Dolls: Lookin' for a Kiss
Connie Francis: V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N
Men Without Hats: Safety Dance

Man Bites God: Spelling Bee Girl
Carla Thomas: B-A-B-Y
Devo: Jocko Homo
Hollywood Studio Orchestra and Chorus: Harrigan

Muddy Waters: Mannish Boy
Melinda Dolittle: Woman
Modern Lovers: Girlfriend
Tammy Wynette: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Pixies: Velouria
Glenn Miller: I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo
Guess Who: American Woman
Kinks: Lola

Travis Tritt: T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Desmond Dekker and the Aces: Unity
Dion McGregor: Spelling Bee
Aretha Franklin: Respect

Them: Gloria
Beatnuts: Spelling Beatnuts with Lil' Danny
Faith No More: Nestles
Unknown: Bingo

Garth Brooks and George Jones: Beer Run
K-Solo: Letterman
Fishboy: Half Time at the Proper Noun Spelling Bee

Bay City Rollers: Saturday Night
Sufjan Stevens: They are Night Zombies
Detroit Cobras: Hot Dog

Joe Tex: The Letter Song
Television: Friction
Nat King Cole: L-O-V-E
Al Green: L-O-V-E
Ramones: R-A-M-O-N-E-S

Delphonics: La La La Means I Love You
Mickey Mouse Club Closing