Saturday, March 24, 2007

3.23.07 EJ AND THE CT




Wow wow wow was that great. With ample help from my guest host who should be my permanent co-host except some people have to work for a living Ted Potrikus, we enjoyed Elana James and the Continental Two for well over an hour of music and conversation. Words cannot describe how cool they were. They showed up, unpacked, and were blazing away from note one. They were funny and thoughtful and incredibly alive.
Due to a computer glitch we didn't record the interview, otherwise I'd post it. But some highlights were Elana's recounting about how she tried busking during recess in 6th grade, which got her sent to the principal's office; and her answer to my question about songwriting: "I don't really like writing, but I do really like having written."

Shortly after they left, Ted, in a state of catatonic euphoria, mumbled to me: "I've never had anyone play a concert just for me before." It was indeed a rarified thing--when you discount the fact that they were playing into microphones and transmitting out to anybody in GB lucky enough to have their radio on, it was just the three of them playing for the two of us.

I implore each and every one of you to buy her records and to go see her & the band whenever they are anywhere near you. A million thanks to Elana, Whit and Beau.

Morells, That Mellow Saxophone

Bryan Ferry, Tom Thumb's Blues, Positively Fourth Street (fr Dylanesque import)

Don Ellis Orchestra, Hey Jude (fr Live at Fillmore)
Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, I'm a Ding-dong Daddy From Dumas, Right or Wrong, New San Antonio Rose, What Makes Bob Holler
Waylon Jennings, Bob Wills is Still the King (fr. Waylon Live)

NRBQ, Rats in My Room
Jack Butwell, 12 Bar Blues
Lovin' Spoonful, Nashville Cats
Chandler Travis Philharmonic, Llama Doesn't Quite Rhyme With Perpendicular, Village of the Darned

Elana James and the Continental Two interview and performance

The Neanderthals, Across the Universe, Rock the Universe, Beep Beep, Girl on the Moon, Twistin' Out in Space